Skip to content
Advertisements

Vanilla Scarf

July 1, 2011

Vanilla

Vanilla

Printable PDF file: download now

One skein of sock yarn, one stitch marker and 4mm needles! Good sized scarf! Garter and openwork stitches. Very simple and a great stash buster!

Materials 400 meters sock weight yarn
4.00 mm needles
1 stitch marker

Gauge (approximate)
20 stitches and 48 rows in garter stitch = 4 inches
Gauge is not important

Size (approximate)
65 inches x 15 inches

Abbreviations
K = knit
KFB = knit into front and back of next stitch
SM = stitch marker
SLM = slip marker
KW2 = knit wrapping yarn around needle twice
KFBW2= knit into front and back of stitch, wrapping yarn around
needle twice for both stitches

Instructions
Cast on 4 stitches
Row 1: KFB, K2, KFB
Row 2: KFB, K4, KFB
Row 3: KFB, K2, KFB, place stitch marker, KFB, K2, KFB
Row 4: KFB, K to last stitch, KFB
Row 5: KFB, K to one stitch before SM, KFB, SLM,
KFB, K to last stitch, KFB
Row 6: KFB, K to last stitch, KFB
Repeat rows 5 and 6 another 31 times.

Row 7: KFBW2, KW2 to one stitch before SM, KFBW2, SLM,
KFBW2, KW2 to last stitch, KFBW2
Row 8: KFB (drop extra wrap), K (drop extra wraps) to last stitch,
KFB (drop extra wrap)
Row 9: KFB, K to one stitch before SM, KFB, SLM,
KFB, K to last stitch, KFB
Row 10: KFB, K to last stitch, KFB
Repeat rows 7 – 10 another 7 times (more if you would like a
larger scarf and have extra yarn)
Work rows 9 and 10 twice more.

Cast off knitwise.

Please block to open up all stitches and smooth out edges.

©copyright 2011 Annie Lee-Baker. All rights reserved. This pattern may be used for non-commercial, personal use only. It may not be used in any publication in print nor should it be reproduced in electronic/digital format without permission.

Click to see Vanilla projects on Ravelry!

for reading
this post!

Advertisements
20 Comments leave one →
  1. Anonymous permalink
    August 21, 2011 2:26 pm

Lovely new pattern! I have just purchased it, and have ordered some beautifu yarn especially for it!

2. annie permalink
    August 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Still waiting for the power to come back on so that I may email the correct pattern to you! So sorry for the delay.
    Annie

3. Dominique permalink
    May 7, 2015 12:15 am

How many stitches should you have on your needles before you start row 7?

4. Amanda permalink
    September 13, 2015 8:44 pm

After row 6 where it says “repeat row 5 and 6 31 more times is it each row 31 more times or a total of 31 between the two rows?

• September 15, 2015 11:31 am

Hi Amanda,

Repeat each row 31 times more for a total of 62 rows.

Thanks!
      Annie

• April 15, 2016 12:52 pm

I’m a little slow this morning… Do you knit row 5 – 31 times then knit row 6 – 31 times OR knit row 5+row 6, 31 times? Hope you understand what I’m asking.

Hi Jean, Please knit Row 5 and Row 6 31 times. Thanks!
        Annie

5. Anonymous permalink
    October 21, 2015 10:46 pm

Love the look of the pattern but I cannot print it out because I have Windows 10.

6. Anonymous permalink
    October 22, 2015 11:06 am

I have windows 10 and I also cannot print it

7. November 5, 2015 1:23 am

I’m a new knitter and can’t wait to make this project! I absolutely LOVE the heathered plum yarn that you used. Could you please share the brand and color?

Thanks for the wonderful pattern! 😊

• November 5, 2015 8:16 am

Hi!
      The yarn brand is Dye Version Sock yarn. The color is Chocolate-Cherry, but I believe it is discontinued.

Annie

• Anonymous permalink
        October 17, 2016 10:28 am

I have the Chocolate cherry, and also a green variegated “Eat your veggies” Very nice yarns…

8. Anonymous permalink
    November 23, 2015 1:33 pm

Can you show me how to Kfbw2? I know the first part-kfb but do you wrap yarn on needle twice after knitting in front & then twice in back of needle?

• November 24, 2015 9:16 am

Hello,

Yes, wrap twice for knitting in front, then wrap twice for knitting in back of stitch.

Thanks, Annie

9. Traci permalink
    December 17, 2015 7:11 pm

Hello, can you clarify how to do KW2?
    Do I wrap the yarn 2x before I do the knit stitch or after I do the knit stitch?

10. Annie permalink*
    December 17, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi Tracy

KW2: knit into next stitch, but instead of wrapping yarn around needle once, wrap twice

Thanks!
    Annie

11. Anonymous permalink
    April 24, 2016 5:52 pm

How many u.s. skeins do I buy to equal 400 meters of yarn. Thank you.

• April 24, 2016 8:34 pm

Hello, It all depends on the yardage the yarn you would like to use. You will need to check the labels and buy 440 yards / 400 meters fingering weight yarn. I hope this helps! Thank you!
      Annie

12. Liz permalink
    November 18, 2016 3:17 pm

Annie, I love this pattern but the KFBW2 is not working for me. When I wrap the yarn twice on the “back” stitch and then pull the yarn through to complete the stitch, the 2 wraps seems to cross over each other and then it is difficult to drop the extra wrap on the next row. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any ideas? Thanks so much!